Friday, May 20, 2011

How We Are Doing

We are doing well. All is fine and flowing right along and I just feel like I haven't been writing enough to adequately RECORD these moments of precious amazingness. Which they are. These girls are growing like kudzo and talking up blue streaks and say and do cute things all day long. (Interspersed with incredible tantrums and catfights, of course.)

Adessa is almost done with Preschool, and has absolutely loved it. The teacher assures me that she is a pleasure to have the whole three hours, which means she waits until she gets home (or on the way home, or halfway out the preschool door) to melt down. I got to see her in action at her beloved school, myself, on the day that they celebrated her birthday. Since she has a summer birthday, she got "crowned" and sang to and celebrated on May 10th. While I was there she: followed directions, showed she knew the procedures, played well with others, rode tricycles, ate her snack, (passed things and poured her own water!) happily ran around like a dinosaur and a butterfly when asked. It was great to see her in this part of her life that I have basically no connection to, it's just hers. Very fun.

Adessa in her Birthday crown at Preschool.


Adessa and Anders (It was so cute to watch, he sidled up as close to her as he could.)


Adessa and Eliana have been interacting more and more in play together. Adessa loves to direct their play, and sometimes Eliana is okay with following along. Adessa also enjoys repeating what I say to both of them in a loud, mommy-like voice, to Eliana. "Eliana, Mommy doesn't want you to wear your shoes in the house, okay?" It's sort of cute and about to be irritating, but so far I've put up with it since Eliana doesn't mind. Many times Adessa repeats to Eliana verbatim the little lectures I give her. At least I know she's listening!

I tried to catch Adessa mid-lecture, and got the tail end of her admonishments to Eliana. And it ends with a bang!

Adessa is helpful and cheerful and flexible MUCH more often, though she still is sensitive to blood sugar levels. Something I don't understand about her development is that she does not want to do many things for herself. The most confounding one is that she wants us to dress her (and put her socks on in the right order! And before the shirt. Then come the pants. Or we have to take everything off and start over!) I thought kids wanted to be independent and do things for themselves, buzz off mom kind of thing. Not so with Adessa. We've talked a lot about how four year olds get themselves dressed, get their arms in the car seat straps (or strap themselves in!), etc. She has until June 12 to be babied, and that's it.

Right before we need to go somewhere or when it's after bed time, these girls play beautifully together. I felt like Jane Goodall, watching them take care of their dollies: wrapping them up, patting their backs, kissing them, and shhhing in their ears.


Eliana is doing some serious two year old fit throwing and elaborate, dramatic pouting. But, she's easier to redirect than Adessa was, and I don't take it all so seriously this time around. Eliana has also started chiming in on happenings and daily life, she likes to commentate and ruminate on all our doings. Fun! She loves to be tickled and wrestled, which is my favorite part of the day. She also says: "Stay here, mommy, I'll be right back. Wait for one minute." in her lispy baby voice. So cute.

I came home from work the other day to this:

She woke up too early from her nap, so Grandma rocked her for 45 minutes. Sweeeeet.

Eliana's birthday was spread out over the first half of May. She cried the first two times Happy Birthday was sung to her, but by her birthday party she was only mildly sheepish, no tears! We finally had her party May 15th, and with inclement weather, we had an indoor/outdoor plan at the rec field. It was fun! Yay. It did precipitate this observation: It would be lot's easier to throw my kids a birthday party if I didn't have kids.

May 5th, Actual Birthday.


Eliana and the Amazing Technicolor DreamCake, courtesy of Auntie Lolo.


Eliana's Birthday party cupcakes. Also technicolor. I was excited to use for the first time my decorating pens with edible ink! (Just on the white cupcake--can you see it?)

Now can you see it?


Party peoples, trying out the cupcakes at Eliana's 2nd birthday party.

No comments: