Last night I was holding Adessa after feeding her, right before bed. She was dozzing, and I rocked her and kissed her and nuzzled her, and it made me feel two things so strongly- 1. overwhelmed with love for her bitsy, soft, baby-ness, and amazed that I get to love her from so close; and 2. desirous of kalamata olives, maybe with some chopped cucumber, tomato, and red onion. That's because our Adessa is a feta-factory. She industriously produces what smells like feta cheese, with nothing more than breastmilk, and within the confines of her very own tiny crevices and crannies (neck, armpit, ears, hands, etc.) Premium cheese. (They do very expensive things with bat guano, maybe someone should look into the market for breastmilk cheese?) I took her to the doctor for her 2-month well-baby check, and he told me, very helpfullly, after looking at her neck: "You know you can clean this out?" Yes, thank you. Note to self: bathe baby before next doctor's visit. He's not such a fan of Greek salad, apparently. OPA!
She's two months old (officially, now,) (and nine weeks). She's awake and aware more often, and I've a feeling that I could really do something wrong, now, as a parent. She always is looking at me, watching me, sometimes it creeps me out. Does she need more stimulation? Less? Is it okay that she likes her baby swing? Is her head going to be flattened? I think it's the beginning of normal mommy guilt, but again, new territory for me.
She smiles, she tracks toys, she's found her fists. She'll stick her tiny tounge out if I stick mine out. We know so little about her, really. What her hair color will end up being, will she ever outgrow her mullet? Eye color, talents, interests, good singing voice or not, good teeth-- it's all to be revealed.
She's the strong, silent type, so far, mystery is part of her allure. Parents are like undercover cops, I think, trying to bait their kids into giving something away, detectives on an 18 year stake-out. Waiting is most of our job at this point, with plenty of photodocumentation for analysis back at the lab.
No comments:
Post a Comment