With Aunt Florence and Grandma and Grandpa Lewis. Are those trees?
I'm hot, I'm thirsty, I'm standing!
It wasn't Adessa's first trip to Nevada, or even her second, but it was her longest and most authentic. What a state! We went for Calvin's uncle's funeral, which was a joyous affair, remarkably. The best part of it all was meeting Calvin's Aunt Florence for the first time and feeling like she appreciated the family support.
I was uber-fascinated with the difference a fleeting seven hour drive makes to the landscape and culture. My geography/anthropology roots kicked in and Yarington, Nevada, impressed. It's an old copper town, depressed since the huge, looming copper mine closed. Since copper is so valuable now, there is talk of starting it up again. There was a lot of wind, few trees, the main crop is hay, and there were very few young people. (Of if they were young, they were certainly weathered!) Due to the lack of trees and money, most of the houses were mobile or modular homes. I thought they could have built houses so much cooler with something like this:
especially since they had few trees but plenty of dirt! So interesting.
Adessa did incredibly well, considering all the driving we did. The days after we got back have been really hard with her, though, which may be the aftermath of such a trip. It also may be her two front teeth, which have been coming in. I have no idea why she's been such a wreck yesterday and today, truthfully. I make up scenarios and stories to tell myself about why she ever does what she does. Until she can tell me otherwise, that's all I have to go on.
She is starting to stand up on her own, and did so in the middle of the desert at a pit stop. Standing and walking around assisted are the newest developments, besides one more: she's starting to show a little fire, a flash here and there, of big, bad, ugly...will. Already? I guess we knew this day would come. I guess we have thought about it. Now that it's here, though, I'm definitely not ready for it. She gets frustrated if she forgot the fact that she can't stand up and topples over. She shrieks if you take something away, or don't give her what she wants. Already! She is luckily easily distractable, most of the time, but man...already?
1 comment:
Wow! She's standing on her own! She'll be walking by one! How fun. And about the will, just hang in there! I know what a sad moment it is when you realize that she might just disobey or get angry! Just shows that she's a real human! I'm starting to get glimpses of that with Ella. It gets a lot easier as they can talk and understand more. But you're a great Mom and you'll know what to do!
Post a Comment