Friday, April 30, 2010

Cake

I made another cake. This will be the last cake I make for a while, since Calvin asked me to put my new hobby on hold for the next few years. (Except for birthdays! E's birthday is 5/5, A's 6/12, and of course they're benefiting from my boundless love of frosting.) However, this will be the last cake I make for public consumption that could otherwise have been ordered from Costco. After ignoring all aspects of my motherly, wifely, and house-keeping duties for about a week, I made a giant birthday cake for my dad. German Chocolate. He requested the german chocolate, but didn't know how big it would be. It was going to be served after church, at what I thought was going to be a huge potluck barbeque birthday party. I was worried there wouldn't be enough cake for everyone. At the last minute, I made another layer. Each layer was a double batch of my recipe, in my new 14" X 14" pan. Three layers. Small potluck. It was a looooot of cake. We froze a bunch at church, so all the people who missed it the first time will be able to try it out.



I think I scored points with my dad for its sheer mass, as he is seriously into things that are heavy, strong, fast, or powerful. I have many childhood memories of him explaining exactly how powerful the chimpanzee in a certain story was, or how fast the guy moved in the wrestling match, or who would win a fight between a grizzly bear and a mountain lion, or exactly what force it would take to rip someone's arm off. He told me he tried to pick up the cake and guess its weight, but couldn't (pick it up, that is--it was heavy!) I think that bode well for him, and I can hear him now, years from now: "Keidi made the biggest cake I've ever seen, it was heavier than my desk." Happy Birthday, Daddio!

2 comments:

Arin Rollins said...

Awesome cake!! You are a natural at cake decorating! I've tried a couple times and am NOT good!

Sarah Burkett said...

I am SO impressed! I can't even make cookies :)