May 5th was Eliana's birthday, her golden birthday (five on the fifth), a day on which she was crowned at preschool and got her ears pierced! May 10th was her fancy dress up tea party.
Eliana is five. I just looked back at old blog entries from when Adessa was five, as I wanted to be sure Adessa at five was just as... ornery. And she was. Eliana has a sweet, gentle spirit, and a abrasive, loud, endless wail. So there's that. She cries frequently, when she doesn't get her way, when she gets the tiniest owie, when Annea has something of hers, etc. It's hard to talk to her about it, because she wails so loudly, and it's hard for her to stop. So. There's that.
She just got to a place in swimming lessons (the second to last day!) where she will put her face in the water. She is now hanging out under water searching for rings, blowing bubbles, very exciting!
Her birthday was great. A few friends came over for a tea party. Aunt Deborah and Uncle Mike came, too.
Aftermath of earrings!
Birthday party!
Eliana's friend Avery pictured on the left, got dropped off for the party and later gave us a little scare. The party was lots of fun: we ate finger sandwiches and fruit, drank pink lemonade, no tea, we played Pass the Parcel, and then, in the middle of the party, the girls played hide and seek. I called for the game to stop for cake time, so we sang "Happy Birthday" and had cake, and then Eliana asked: "Where's Avery?" Oh my goodness. We searched around and Laurel found her still hiding! Laurel thought fast and cheered for Avery, telling her that she won the game of Hide and Seek. Avery was totally fine, thankfully, not at all phased by the fact that she'd been hiding about ten minutes by herself after the game had ended. She got a piece of cake after it all, and rejoined the party without a hitch. But oh my, maybe don't drop your kids off at our parties.
Dads of girls, need I say more!?
Roller skating! As per her normal MO, Eliana did want to go roller skating up until we got to the rink. Then she became shy and reluctant, and wouldn't put her skates on. I knew she wanted to, so talked her into just trying, reminding her that she would probably be really sad if she went home without skating. And... she loved it!
Last day of Playschool, hugging her teachers.
Posing at the creek.
Swimming Lessons!
Santa Cruz Beach
17 years ago


1 comment:
Oh sweet, sensitive and loving Eliana!!! I think I was just as emotional and sensitive when I was a kid- there is some hope....only like 25 more years of this and she still may not grow out of it :-) I love how you are so real about all parts of parenting- makes me understand a small glimpse of something that I cannot ever really imagine! They are lucky to call you mom!!!
Post a Comment