Today, May 12th, Adessa turns 23 months old, and Eliana turns one week old. This is a big day for our family, indeed. Good thing I put arrows on the sign, huh?
About the first week with two kids, all I can say is, "Wowie." When prompted by myself to reflect, that's the word that comes to mind. Wowie Wowie Zowie! It's actually been great. We're sleeping okay. I'm resting and recovering well. Eliana's eating okay. (Does anyone need breastmilk?) We're definitely figuring it all out, and know this time around that the discomfort of figuring it all out will pass. Calvin is wonder-dad, which helps. He is very attentive to the girls and to me. I also have learned to ask for what I want, because, while he is many marvelous things, a mind-reader he is not. I've nary washed a dish all week, he's keeping the house ship-shape, and he's been the cooker or warmer up of all food. We are both so excited that he has many more weeks off, yay for the wisest use of vacation time!
A moment about the food: The delicious, thoughtful food has been pouring in, thank you to the Stewarts (parents of BFF Gwen, http://rutherfordfiles.blogspot.com/), the Castillos (parents of Baby Alex, http://babycastillosblog.blogspot.com/), Calvin's parents, my parents, our neighbors! and lots more to come. We love the food, people! Thank you! From a mostly non-cooking, prepared food is fine, cereal-for-every-meal woman, the gift of real, delicious food is a remarkable one. Nourishing, and vital, and exponentially appreciated! (I'm trying to say this: because of the gigantic ordeal it would be for me to make the kind of food people are making for us under ANY circumstances, having it made for us when I don't even want to stand up for very long is SUCH A BIG DEAL to me. Thank you!!)
Eliana is a fabulous second baby. She is mellow. She can be put down and doesn't fuss much. She is eating well. She sleeps for 2 1/2 to 4 hour blocks. She would have made a fabulous first baby, too, mind you, but it's nice to have a pretty low-maintenance kid since we're already having Adessa around to care for. Adessa is still adjusting, but doing a pretty darn good job of it, I'd say! Praise God! She has emotions about the baby, but is sweet to her and excited about her and enjoys patting her back or rubbing her hair. Yesterday I put Eliana down in the co-sleeper (or "the go-sleeper" as Adessa calls it) and Adessa stood by the side trying to see over the edge and sang to her. Soooooo very sweet and heartwarming. There have been a few times where they've both been in my lap, and it's such an amazing feeling, I've got my hands full of such precious treasure!
Adessa is changing so much every day. She is very verbal. It's like she's commentating our life, our very own diminuitive newscaster. A stream of observances and chatter flows out of her: "Eliana awake, looking at you. Where Daddy go? Disappear? Work in the office. Car crash. Back soon. Adessa cry, sad, fall down." She's memorized many of her books, and will use the vocab in conversation or in her observations and reports: "Adessa shrug." is a recent favorite. So very much fun.
Our hearts are full! We are so thankful!
3 comments:
What beautiful girls! It sounds like you are being well taken care of indeed! Good job Calvin! And what a great big sister Adessa is. Such sweet stories! Keep blogging! We don't want to miss anything!
I am overjoyed to hear you are having such a good experience with baby #2. Eliana is so adorable and I can't wait to meet her!
I loved hearing about your birthing experience and I am so happy your family of 4 is doing great. Calvin sounds like an awesome hubby/daddy - although I am a bit disappointed he's not a mind reader :) GRIN
I love you Keids ~
Sarah Jo
You're welcome! Very cute picture of BFF Adessa and sister-baby Eliana. More goodies coming up!
Post a Comment