Today, Christmas Eve Day 2011, Grandma Edna passed away. I think I'm realizing the larger implications of this loss more and more each moment. Because she was a part of our daily life. Because she was a wonderful mother-in-law to me, and mom, and grandma, and wife. She was a lover of Jesus to her very core. She was a servant even at her own expense, putting others always before herself. She loved my girls so much-- all her grandchildren-- and hoped the best for them, that they know Jesus and serve Him, and learn and grow as much as possible. She would notice that another child in Adessa's preschool class could write all their numbers, and ask if I had been working with Adessa on numbers? She was gracious and compassionate with people of all kinds and life situations, never speaking ill of anyone she encountered. She delighted in her family. She was never one to brag, except when talking about her family. She LOVED to tell people she has 16 grandchildren. She fed us healthy food and encouraged us to exercise and take walks and go to the park. She fed the homeless. She babysat our kids so we could go out on dates. She did childcare weekly for my girls so I could work. She checked up on widows and did errands for them. She gave good neck rubs, with surprisingly strong hands. We will miss her. We will miss her so much.
One of the big ways we feel her loss is thinking forward, that our girls won't get to know her as well as we wished. We wish that she would be around as they grow up, to be another loving voice pointing the way. That she would share her legacy of servanthood and love with our girls. We will, of course, share it for her, but it would have been easier if she were around to teach them herself. I hope we can impart to Adessa and Eliana how very much she loved them. They're so little, they might not believe us. Neither Calvin or I have lost someone who was so much a part of our daily existence, and we keep looking at each other and saying: "Wow. This is going to be harder than I thought." Yep. We love you, Edna.
At our wedding, 2005.

Holding newborn Adessa.

At a Mt. Hermon Christmas dinner, 2007.

Holding Eliana for the first time.

Reading with Eliana.

At the Mt. Hermon Community Dinner a few weeks ago.

A portrait of Grandma by Eliana.
6 comments:
Oh, Keidi and Calvin, we will all miss Edna. She was a light in every life she touched and a blessing to our entire community. It is comforting to know she is celebrating our Lord's birth with Him in Heaven!
Keidi, I am so sorry for your and Calvin's loss. My prayers are with you. Sincerely, Anne
Keidi,
My dad told me of your families loss this evening. She was such a wonderful woman and such a blessing to so many! We will hold your family in our prayers.
Jenn
Oh Calvin and Keidi, we are so saddened to hear the news. Your family is in our prayers. Dusty is going to get in touch with you Calvin, but wanted to give you a few days. We just love your family and rejoice with you that your Mom is with Jesus.
She will be missed, in so many ways. Oh sweetie, I am so so sorry. Go gentle with yourselves - the loss of a parent is so, so difficult, and grief is so overwhelming. Know we are always here for you - in the immediate, and in the years to come.
Grandma Edna sounds like an amazing woman. I wish I had the opportunity to meet her. My heart has been with you this Christmas season. Much love to you and your family.
Post a Comment