Posing with Great Grandma Ruth, we love these shots that show off the generations! Grandma told me that her mother, and her mother's mother were both the oldest girl in their family, too. That makes Adessa a 6th generation oldest girl, maybe more.
Hanging out with Devin Engberg and his mom, Julie, in Los Gatos. All Aboard!
Good driving, Devin!
"Someday," she thinks, "mom won't have to hold me up!"
Here's the fame part:
Calvin goes running with an ecclectic group of people very early in the morning on West Cliff, down by the ocean in Santa Cruz. One of the runners is a reporter for the Sentinel, our local paper. She was writing an article on the current controversy about vaccinating children, and needed someone who vaccinated to interview. Adessa and I took the job.
I tried to sound smart and informed, (though I threw in my lot with the medical establishment and vaccinated mostly because I got tired of trying to figure out if it was the best thing or not.) I did say some articulate things about the benefits of vaccinating outweighing the risks, my trust in our public health system looking out for the greater good, things like that. She didn't use much of my interview, but our pictures are prominently displayed on the front and back pages of today's (Sunday!)paper. Online, we are called the "Top Story"!
Here's the online link.
We received quite a bit of attention at church, and a few people gave their opinions regarding vaccinations. I expect that will be the end of it, but it was a fun few minutes of celebrity status. When the reporter first told me she'd like pictures of us, I (of course, overactive imagination) had visions of this being Adessa's big break. I was sure that someone in the right business would see her cuteness over their morning coffee and sign her up to be their spokesbaby.
The fantasy lasted right up until the photographer arrived at our house and started taking pictures. Unbeknownst to us and the obvious documented evidence otherwise, (like on this blog,) Adessa is camera shy. It wasn't that she froze in front of this stranger's lense, she... freaked out. I'd love to see the pictures he didn't put in the paper. The ones where she is crying or at best, grimacing; the ones where she is turning away from him or climbing me to get away from him; and the ones where she is clawing at me and apparently trying to climb inside my face. Luckily he got a few that worked, and he was very nice about it all. But if you look closely at Adessa's little face, there is no joy there. 8)
2 comments:
Congrats, Adessa! I'm glad to hear that all the fame didn't get to your head.
It sounds like your mom may have other plans...
Hi Keidi,
To Vaccinate or Not To Vaccinate...that is the question?
Very interesting article - it sure is a hot topic right now. Thank you for protecting my children! I'm glad you were chosen for the photo too!
Post a Comment